This review will evaluate the article titled ‘Integration of Antiretroviral Therapy with Tuberculosis Treatment’ by Salim S. Abdool Karim et al published in ‘The New England Journal of Medicine’. In the
process of summarization -- its purpose will be defined, the structure of the article
be examined in terms of ease with which any reader can have access to this piece
of information. The article will be anatomized based upon its authority, accuracy,
currency, relevance, objectivity and stability in that order. The review will also
judge the article’s accessibility and credibility. Upon overall assessment the article
has been found to be well written, clear and relevant.
1. Annie Luetkemeyer,, University of California San Francisco (January
20 13) chapter ‘Tuberculosis and HIV available at a site ‘HIV In Site Knowledge
Base’ URL http://hivinsite.ucsf.edu/InSite?page=kb-05-01-06 accessed
on 8th Sept, 2013
2. Bhagyabati DS, Naorem S, Singh TJ, Singh KB, Prasad L, Shantidevi
T. HIV and TB Co-infection. Journal, Indian Academy of Clinical Medicine. 2005;6:220.
3. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC, Atlanta). Trends
in tuberculosis -- United States, 2010. MMWR (Morbidity Mortalality Weekly Reports).
2011 Mar 25;60(11):333-7.
4. Dean GL, Edwards SG, Ives NJ, et al. Treatment of tuberculosis
in HIV-infected persons in the era of highly active antiretroviral therapy. AIDS.
2002 Jan 4;16(1):75-83.
5. Dheda K, Shean K, Zumla A, et al. Early treatment outcomes and
HIV status of patients with extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis in South Africa:
a retrospective cohort study. Lancet. 2010 May 22;375(9728):1798-807.
6. Helena Legido-Quigley et al (2010) Integrating
tuberculosis and HIV services in low- and middle- income countries: a systematic
review Background paper for the First Global Symposium on health systems research
16-19 November 2010 Montreux, Switzerland
7. Kerschberger B, Hilderbrand K, Boulle AM,
Coetzee D, Goemaere E, et al. (2012). The Effect of Complete Integration of HIV and TB Services
on Time to Initiation of Antiretroviral Therapy: A Before-After Study. PLoS ONE
7(10): e46988. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0046988
8. Oni T, Burke R, Tsekela R, et al. High prevalence of subclinical
tuberculosis in HIV-1-infected persons without advanced immunodeficiency: implications
for TB screening. Thorax. 2011 Aug;66(8):669-73.
9. Sharma SK, Mohan A. Co-infection of human immunodeficiency virus
(HIV) and tuberculosis: Indian perspective. Indian J Tuberc. 2004;51:5.
10. Severe P, Juste MA, Ambroise A, et al. Early versus standard antiretroviral
therapy for HIV-infected adults in Haiti. N Engl J Med. 2010 Jul 15;363(3):257-65.
11. Sinha S, et al (2012). Early versus delayed initiation of antiretroviral
therapy for Indian HIV-Infected individuals with tuberculosis on antituberculosis
treatment.’ in BMC Infectious Disesase. 2012 Jul 31;12:168Department of Medicine,
All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Ansari Nagar, New Delhi
12. Suthar AB, Lawn SD, del Amo J, et al. Antiretroviral therapy for
prevention of tuberculosis in adults with HIV: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
PLoS Med. 2012 Jul;9(7):e1001270. doi: 10.1371/journal.pmed.1001270.
13. TB India. RNTCP status report. Available from: http://www.tbcindiaorg/pdfs/TB%20India%202010
accessed on Sept 8, 2013 WHO/TB/96.200 (SEA) Geneva: World Health Organization;
1996. World Health Organization. A Clinical Manual for Southeast Asia.
14. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Guidelines for the
Use of Antiretroviral Agents in HIV-1-Infected Adults and Adolescents. March 27,
15. Van Rie A, Menezes C, Scott L, et al. High yield, sensitivity,
and specificity of Xpert MTB/RIF for M. tuberculosis detection in fine needle aspirates
from HIV-infected TB suspects. In: Program and abstracts of the 18th Conference
on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections; February 27-March 2, 2011; Boston.
16. WHO (Geneva), Consolidated guidelines on the use of antiretroviral
drugs for treating and preventing HIV infection, June 2013, URL http://www.who.int/hiv/pub/guidelines/arv2013/en/index.html
accessed on 8th Sept, 2013
17. World Health Organization (WHO). Treatment of Tuberculosis Guidelines. Accessed
8 Sept 2013