this article I shall examine the author’s perception about the burden of
Emergency Department patient delay and the possible effects of this situation
on the patient’s satisfaction. We want to see if the author’s analysis agrees
with the existing literature especially as there are newer articles than this.
Has the author indicated the advantage of determining the stage at which the
delay occurs most? I would also want to determine if the study brought out
possible solutions to the identified causes of delay in Emergency Department.
will look at how other researchers see the issue of delay in Emergency Department
and the solutions they have proffered, comparing it with what obtains here. I
will like to agree with the write up where it is possible otherwise I will
disagree with reasons, where I am not convinced. I will try to bring fresh
1. Andrulis DP, Kellermann A, Hintz EA, Hackman BB, Weslowski VB, Emergency departments and overcrowding in United States Teaching Hospitals. Ann Emerg. Med. 1991; 20(9): 980-6.
2. Boyle A, Higginson I, Smith S, Henderson K, Crowding in
emergency departments, 2012.
3. Cuttman A, Schull MJ, Vermeulen MJ, Stuked TA. Association between waiting times and short term mortality and hospital admission after depature from emergency department: Population based short study from Ontario Canada. Creature visions foundation. BMJ 2011
4. Derlet R, Richards JR. Emergency department Overcrowding in Florida, New York and Texas South Med J, 2002, 95(8)
5. Estey A, Ness K, Saunders D, Alibhai A, Bear RA. “Understanding the cause of overcrowding in Emergency department in the capital health region in Alberta: a focus group study.
6. Huang Q, Third A, Dreyer JF, Zaric GS. The impact of delays to admission from the emergency department on inpatient outcome. BMC emergency medicine 2010, 10:16.
7. Liew D, Kennedy MP. Emergency department length of stay independently predicts excess impatient length of stay. Med J. August 2003; 179(10): 524-6
8. Mohamood A, Khau BA, Khursheed, Khursheed M. “Overcrowded emergency departments: A problem looking for solution. Journal of Pakistan medical association, 2012.
9. Miro O, Sanchez M, Espinosa G, Coll-Vinet B, Bragulat E, Milla J. Analysis of patient flow in emergency department and the effect of an extensive reorganization. Emerg Med J. 2003; 20:143-8.
10. Rehmani R, Emergency section and overcrowding in a University Hospital of Karachi, Pakistan. J Pak Med. Association 2004: 54(5): 233-7.