Epidemiological Assessment of Knowledge and Risk Perception Towards Typhoid Fever among Gyadi-Gyadi Communities in Kano, Nigeria

Download Article

DOI: 10.21522/TIJPH.2013.07.04.Art010

Authors : Ahmad Salisu Aliyu, Nuru Yakubu Umar, Maimuna Yahaya Yakasai, Habu Chadi


Introduction: Typhoid fever is a major public health problem in developing countries. Typhoid fever is transmitted by the feco-oral root through ingestion of contaminated food or water that contains Salmonella typhi. Poor knowledge and risk perception towards typhoid fever contributed to the prolonged transmission of diseases in the community. The aim of this study was to assess knowledge and risk perception towards typhoid fever among Gyadi-Gyadi communities in Kano, Nigeria. Methodology: A community based cross-sectional study was conducted in Gyadi-Gyadi from April, 2019 to May, 2019. Data was collected using a pretested structured questionnaire. Descriptive analysis was performed to obtain the frequency distribution of the variables. Results: Results: The result shows that 300 participants responded to the questionnaire. 165 respondents (55%) were male and the remaining 135 (45%) were female. Regarding sign and symptom most of 287 (95.7%) of the respondents have answered headache. Concerning risk perception, majority 160 (53.7%) agree that lack of hand washing practice contribute to typhoid fever infection Conclusion: The study revealed that the respondents have good knowledge towards typhoid fever. However, the risk perception status of the respondents towards typhoid fever is poor. Recommendation: Supportive supervision for health extension workers in order to strengthen effective health education to the community on the causes of the diseases and possible preventives measure.

Keywords: Knowledge; Risk Perception; Typhoid Fever, Gyadi-Gyadi, Kano, Nigeria.


[1].   Abucejo P.E, Capeding M.R, Lupisan S.P, Arcay J, Sombrero L T, Ruutu P, Herva E. (September 2001) Blood Culture Confirmed Typhoid Fever in A Provincial Hospital in The Philippines. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health: 32(3):531-536.

[2].   Bara HT. et al. “Knowledge Attitudes and Practices Related to Typhoid” (2016).

[3].   Ethel Osei-Tutu. A Study on Typhoid Fever in Elmina in the Central Region of Ghana 2011” (2011).

[4].   Fauci A.S., Kasper D.L, Longo D.L., Braunwald, Hauser, Jameson, Loscalzo. (2008)

[5].   Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine, 17th ed.

[6].   Gopalakrishnan V, Sekhar W.Y, Soo E.H, Vinsent R A, Devi S. (2002) Typhoid Fever in Kuala Lumpur and a Comparative Evaluation of Two Commercial Diagnostic Kits for the Detection of Antibodies to Salmonella typhi. Singapore Med J: 43(7):354-358.

[7].   Hosoglu S, Bosnak V, Akalin S, Geyik M F, Ayaz C. (2008) Evaluation of false negativity of the Widal test among culture proven typhoid fever cases. J Infect Developing Countries: 2(6): 475-478.

[8].   JO O., et al. “Prevalence of Salmonellosis among Food Handlers and the Health Implications on the Food Consumers in Lagos State Nigeria”. Journal of Medical Microbiology and Diagnosis 4.2 (2015): 187.

[9].   John A, Luby Stephen P., Mintz Eric D. (2004). The global burden of typhoid fever. Bull World Health Organ: 82(5): 346-353.

[10].  Khanyelele Makhanu E. “Impact of Cultural Factors on the Management of Typhoid Fever in Bungoma County Kenya”. International Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Sciences 4.5 (2014): 491-499.

[11].  Malisa A and Nyaki H. “Prevalence and constraints of typhoid fever and its control in an endemic area of Singida region in Tanzania”. Journal of Public Health and Epidemiology 2.5 (2010): 93-99. implications

[12].  Morgan DW and Krejcie, RV. (1970). Determining Sample size for research activities of Minnesota: USA.

[13].  Nguri KAB. “Risk Factors Influencing Typhoid Fever Occurrence among the Adults in MainaSlum, Nyahururu Municipality, Kenya”. Academic Journal of Biosciences 4.3 (2016).

[14].  Okore Oghale O., et al. “Prevalence of Malaria and Typhoid Fever Co-Infection: Knowledge, Attitude and Management Practices among Residents of Obuda-Aba, Abia State, Nigeria”. American Journal of Public Health Research 3.4 (2015): 162-166.

[15].  Pang (2008). Typhoid fever research in developing countries. J Infect Developing Countries: 2(6):411.

[16].  Wain J, Hosoglu S. (2008). The laboratory diagnosis of enteric fever. J Infect Developing Countries: 2(6):421-425.

[17].  Willke A, Ergonul O, and Bayar B. (July 2002) Widal test In Diagnosis of Typhoid Fever in Turkey; Clinical and Diagnostic Laboratory Immunology. 9(4): 938–941.

[18].  World Health Organization (2003) Background document: The diagnosis, treatment and Prevention of typhoid fever.